- Be respectful of the retail members’ time. They have a great number of people to meet and see.
- Avoid interrupting a retail member if they are speaking to another attendee.
- Ask if they have a need for your service or plan to have a need in the upcoming year.
- Prepare a 30-second “elevator” speech.
- Have your business card and marketing materials readily available.
- Please respect “not now.” Don’t push for a call, later then be surprised or resent when it doesn’t happen.
- Be respectful of all retail members – the person attending the event may not be a decision-maker, but they may be a major influencer now, or later.
- Take time to meet other supplier members. You may find a way to partner on projects or provide referrals for each other’s products and/or services.
- Focus on relationship building and not just selling.
- Be open to meeting supplier members. They could be your next new service provider or your next best friend – yes, it happens!
- Be gracious to supplier members. Their companies spend thousands of dollars to exhibit, sponsor, advertise and market to our retail member companies. You certainly don’t have to do business with them, but you can still be appreciative for their support of the association and our retail members.
- Please be considerate to supplier members who may invite you or your team for dinner, an event or a reception. If you confirm your attendance, that means they are counting on and expecting you to attend. Last minute declines, or just not showing up can bear significant expenses for the supplier company, and look poorly on you and your company.
- The supplier members ARE trying to sell you something. They need to show a return on their investment for the marketing dollars they are spending to be a PRSM member.
- Be honest with the supplier members. If you don’t need their services, kindly let them know. If you don’t intend to contact them, kindly tell them.
- If you tell the supplier member to contact you later, expect them to contact you later. When they contact you, please return their call or email.
Thank you for making this a great experience for everyone!